Diesel’s Blowing White, Blue or Black Smoke
June 22, 2009
Does your Ford Powerstroke, GM Duramax, Dodge Cummins blowing White, Blue or Black smoke from the exhaust?
Orange County Diesel is your experienced and reliable diesel aftermarket and repair shop located in Huntington Beach, CA. If your diesel is blowing smoke, we suggest bringing it in to have it diagnosed by one of our experience and highly qualified diesel technicians.
White smoke usually occurs when raw diesel fuel comes through the exhaust unburned and intact. The reason for this could be any of the following:
- Faulty or damaged injectors
- Low cylinder compression
- Worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft cause incorrect injection timing
- Water entering combustion spaces due to bad head gasket or broker cylinder heads or blocks
Black smoke is the most common and can indicate incomplete combustion of your diesel fuel due to any of the following reasons:
- Worn or dirty injectors
- Over fueling
- Low Cylinder compression
- Bad fuel
- Low or cool operating temperatures
- Carbon build up in combustion and exhaust areas
- Incorrect air-fuel ration
- Bad or faulty turbocharger
- Incorrect timing
- Restricted inductions system
- Or other engine tune factors
The sooner your replace worn or damaged parts or components the less damage will be done on your engine. It is important to keep on top of your diesels maintenance including tunes, valve adjustments and servicing on your air, fuel and oil filters.
Blue smoke is usually an indicator of your oil being burnt from the combustion chamber, which can happen from several different ways including:
- Piston ring sticking
- Cylinder glaze
- Worn valve seals or guides
- Wrong grade of oil
- Or other reasons
Blue smoke is often evident at cold starts.
Give us a call at 714-848-2170 M-F from 8-5 PST
Live locally? Feel free to stop by our location and meet us! OC DIESEL, INC. is located at 17242 Gothard Street, Huntington Beach, CA 92647 Suites A and B. We have a full service shop staffed with knowledgeable technicians who are ready to squash any Diesel Repair issues.